Feed on
Posts
Comments

St. Colmcille’s House

St. Colmcille’s House (Meath) is an ancient stoned roofed oratory which is believed to have been the place where most of the Book of Kells was written. The upper floor has a window oriented to focus sunlight onto the writing table.  St. Colmcille’s bed was also there until it was stolen in the 1950’s.  It was a large heavy stone slab.  In 1007 the Book of Kells was also stolen but eventually found in a nearby bog.  It stayed in Kells until 1654 when it was sent to Dublin for safekeeping.

Leave a Reply