Feed on

Movry Castle

Moyry Castle was built in 1600 by Lord Mountjoy, Queen Elizabeth’s most ruthless general, to protect the main highway from Dublin to Belfast which was plagued by highway men.  The area was called Rock of the Robbers.  Mountjoy cleared the area by cutting the woods and building the castle on a rock.  When a mapmaker came into their territory in 1609, the inhabitants didn’t take too kindly to him and cut off his head.  After this the Crown’s surveyors worked only under armed guard.

Comments are closed.